Saturday, March 10, 2007

Bald Sad Scary Suffocation Man

I have a new job which allows me to work from home. The organization I work with provides a computer. They were generous enough to buy me a new laptop. (The process? That's another post.) Suffice to say that after numerous emails, telephone calls and a near aneurysm when on the phone with UPS, I finally drove to a nearby town and picked up the laptop on Thursday.

When I opened up the packaging, this was what the laptop was wrapped in:
I think Dell's graphic designer might have spent too much time watching the Scream movies. In a perverse way it reminds me of a Munch-ian version of the Romper Room lady's "Magic Mirror." Remember at the end of the show when she'd put the mirror in front of her face and do a shout-out to all the kids who were watching, with a trippy swirly design on the back of the mirror?
Anyway, you have to give props to a graphic that is this disturbing enveloping each of the million Dell laptops being shipped every day. There's a whole nation of Bald Sad Scary Suffocation Men!
Probably the most effective part of the graphic, though, is that it demonstrates clearly that the most efficient way to use the packaging to suffocate yourself is by cinching it firmly with your fist around the neckline. No random, accidental asphyxiation for this guy. He means business.

No comments: