Saturday, March 31, 2007

Ah, Marketing...

The Teletubbies invade London, Beatles-style? Brazilliant marketing, or milking a turnip? You make the call...

My (older) boys don't admit that they used to love the Tubbies. LOVE the Tubbies. I never loved them, believe me. But I did sit through the one VHS tape we own what seemed like a million times.

Fast forward to their baby sister, who LOVES the Tubbies. So much that I actually hid that one VHS tape. No more Tubbies! (And never these Tubbies.)

But on the 10 year anniversary, they're back, and unmasked! And selling Teletubbies headbands -- you choose your character, Tinky-Winky (revealed as a ballet dancer in real life -- so that pink purse is making sense*), Dipsy, La-La or Po -- with the profits going to autism reseach. Now can anyone tell me where to find them??? They were on the Today Show, for goodness sake...

*Addendum to the Anonymous poster who asked whether I was being homophobic here. No. But having spent 15 of my first 18 years in ballet, I can vouch for a fairly (cough cough) high percentage of male dancers being gay. I didn't mean to offend. Actually, if anything I thought it was genuinely hilarious given the whole Jerry Falwell stupidity. But I can see how you thought I was validating that somehow. Not at all. Shine on, TW!

3 comments:

Charis said...

I LOVED the Teletubbies! (Tinky Winky rules! Gotta love anyone secure enough to carry a gigantic red patent leather purse!) My daughter's first Halloween costume was a Po costume that I made myself (which was a feat, since I am NOT crafty). I miss them!

Anonymous said...

Am curious about your Tinky Winky comment. Does this mean that you think they gave the pink purse to the Teletubby who is a dancer in real life because he is male and they thought/know he is gay? Or is it that you think all male dancers are gay?

Charis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.