Saturday, December 30, 2006

The Secret

My friend Jenny often talks about a friend of hers who is, to put it mildly, an intuitive person. This friend reads reads Akashic records. So she's the closest thing to clairvoyant that I know of. I've never consulted this person but always have it in the back of my mind when I'm having difficulty sorting something out that her number is a good one to have in my back pocket.

Recently while speaking to this friend, Jenny noticed (because she also is an intuitive person) that her friend sounded different. When she asked her about it, her friend replied, "I am different. It's all because of this movie that I watched called 'The Secret.'"

Fast forward many Google searches and $150 later, and Jenny owns three copies of the DVD. After watching it and telling me -- without telling me, so as not to ruin it -- I buy one off of her and decide to give it to my husband for Christmas.

This was a thinly veiled plot to force him to watch it with me. I knew he'd be skeptical. Plus he manages direct salespeople -- so motivational speakers (and speaking) are his daily fare. So I knew it would be a stretch to get him to do this on his downtime.

Bottom line, my friends? Anyone who is over 40 should really be tuned into a lot of what is being said. The production is cheesy and even absurd at times.

But the message is outstanding. The conversations have been endless. And I find myself revisiting a lot of situations by reframing them with The Secret. So check it out, and let me know what you think. If you live nearby, I'm happy to loan you my copy.

I, too, am trying not to betray the full meaning of the movie for the uninitiated. But it can be summed up in one of the participant's quotes (and I'm paraphrasing):

"Mother Theresa would never attend an anti-war demonstration. But she would attend a pro-peace demonstration."

It's worth the watch.

PS: You need to get the Esther Hicks version. Or so says the clairvoyant...

3 comments:

Debbi said...

From your summation, could the secret be to think positive? The website you pointed to was taking for-freaking-ever to load ... I'll have to try it again another day, perhaps when the connection gods decide to give me 28800 bauds instead of 26400. Heh.

Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_(film)

Anonymous said...

Mother Teresa was the speaker at my college graduation. She was the most negative entity I have ever encountered! I'd spent 4 years with Jesuits who tried to instill social justice and responsibility into their students. I was pumped to hear a "peace, love and service" commencement address. What she delivered wasn't "pro" any Catholic spiritual or philosophical tradition you can think of; she was virulently anti-secular. Fortunately for all, her harangue was cut short after 20 minutes, when the Heavens opened up and rained her out.