Saturday, May 12, 2007

My Incredible Granny Nanny -- Or, Happy Mother's Day, Part 2

I thought my Mom had coined the term "Granny Nanny." Apparently I'm wrong.

When I read this article, I could relate to it 150%. While hardly an MD resident or high powered attorney, I am currently in the position of having taken a part time professional J.O.B. after a decade of being "just" a mom. Ambivalently, I only accepted the J.O.B. after late night negotiations with my M.O.M. about her role in the childcare. (As a sidebar, my Mom's first comment about possible childcare arrangements was, "Over my dead body will they go to daycare." So that narrowed my options.)

My friend Jenny summarizes my situation with the following admonishment. "You suck." She readily admits her jealousy that my Mom, earth Mom and former children's librarian, is there and willing to help on a small or grand scale.

For years my Mom has covered every Tom, Dick and Harry commitment that has come along. It started with my nascent web design business when my eldest was less than a year old. I'd drive him up to their house, we'd spend the night every Thursday. Making sure she made my favorite Asian Chicken salad that night, she'd then watch him all day Friday so I could work on my husband's company's web site. Then other clients' web sites. That's how I fit it all in.

Then I began volunteer work, and graduated to a new level of needing to get away on odd days, or a string of days, around my husband's schedule. In the blink of an eye, we were doing more calendar checks than I was doing with my husband! And yet she was always willing, always able, and always managed to fit her grandkids in.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago. My dad had accepted a J.O.B. in southern Illinois. My mom had the following choices:
  • Stay in their place in Wisconsin alone, minimum of 30 minutes away from either of her kids;
  • Retire and move "down South" with him; or
  • Retire and move nearer one of her kids

Clearly, between my brother and I, at this stage, I win. I have three kids whom she adores. He has a fiancee (whom she adores) and a lot of pets. Call that hand.

The truth is, she is there for me now in ways that only other mothers can appreciate. If my youngest falls asleep late and needs to be awakened in order to pick up the other two at school, she comes over to "napsit." If my husband and I want to take in a movie and coffee, she's there. If I need to bail on the school concert because my littlest is 1/2 hour past her bedtime, my Mom drives the others home. Don't want to deal with grocery shopping with three kids? Mom will sit with them in the car while I breeze through. She volunteers at my kids' school as much as I do.

She is as integral a part of our family's daily schedule as I am, and I could never repay her that debt. I want her to know how much I appreciate her knitting herself into our lives.

When this J.O.B. opportunity came my way, I knew what I wanted and needed for my family. On paper, it looks so simple. 10-15 hours a week, from home. Occasional meetings and travel. The question was -- was that what she wanted? I can only speculate, because she'd never tell me differently. But I am blessed every time that I entrust my children to her loving care.

Happy Mother's Day, Granny Nanny. We all love you.

3 comments:

Debbi said...

What a lovely, lovely tribute to your mother, Kia. And Happy Mother's Day to you both!

Charis said...

You forgot to mention that your mom makes awesome costumes for your kids and that she doesn't forget Incredible Kid Day for the kids at school every year. Happy Mother's Day to KK and to you too!

Karen said...

Well, "Granny Nanny" wanted to respond ASAP to this wonderful post....but first she didn't realize it was "she" and then "she" couldn't respond because of computer illiteracy....aaaggghhh!

So, here I am, oh - 4-5 months later finally figuring it out! Wow! Thank you for this really neat "tribute." I feel humbled and not particularly deserving, though I love these "chillies" (and you) so much.

Mom